Understanding Your Overdraft Protection Options
- Link Checking & Savings
- Personal Line of Credit
- Bounce-Free Checking Protection*
Overdraft fees can add up and negatively impact your budget, but with an FCU Checking Account you have several different options to prevent an overdraft. That's why we offer two ways to protect your account against them:
- Link your savings account balances to your checking account to cover overdrafts
- Apply for a Personal Line of Credit that will automatically transfer money into your checking account to cover overdrafts
How Overdraft Protection Works: Linked Savings Account vs. Personal Line of Credit
Scenario: What would happen if you bought a new shirt and paid your smartphone bill, but didn't have enough funds in checking to cover both? Let's look at the differences if you had linked your account to your savings, versus having linked your account to a Personal Line of Credit.
- You have $25 in checking.
- While shopping, you find a great shirt for $25, and when you went to pay with your debit card, the transaction was approved.
- That same day, a payment made to your smartphone provider for $50 came in for processing.
- Let's say you have $200 in your FCU savings account that is linked to your checking account.
- $50 will be automatically transferred from your savings to your checking because you signed up for overdraft protection.
- Your balance in your checking account is now $0, and $150 in your savings account.
- The $50 in overage payments were resolved through your savings account.
- You only pay a small transfer fee!
- Let's say you have a $500 personal line of credit with FCU and you link it to your checking account.
- $50 will be automatically transferred to your checking to cover the overage payments.
- Your balance in your checking account is now $0, and your line of credit has a balance of $50.
- This means you pay no fees from the checking overdraft
- You will pay interest on the amount drawn from the line of credit.
Bounce-Free Checking Protection*
No matter what you choose, you can always feel secure in your account with FCU. Bouncing a check or having your debit card denied can be a stressful and embarrassing situation, but with bounce-free checking protection from Florida Credit Union, you can avoid multiple fees and the hassles that come from insufficient funds. If you overdraw your account, FCU may pay for your checks, ATM withdrawals, and point-of-sale transactions and ensure your transaction goes through.Please see the FCU Fee Schedule for further details.
*Charge and limits will apply. The account balance must be brought to a positive balance every 20-day period. While FCU will typically pay overdrafts on accounts in good standing, payment is a discretionary courtesy, and not a right or obligation. For example, we typically do not pay overdrafts if your account is not in good standing, or you are not making regular deposits, or you have too many overdrafts. FCU may, in our sole and absolute discretion, cease paying overdrafts at any time without prior notice of reason or cause. Please review important disclosures in the Membership Agreement. Refer to the FCU Fee Schedule for more information.
**Continued enrollment subject to approval and subject to change. Checks are paid as long as Bounce Free limit has not been met or exceeded. A charge per bounced check or overdrawn withdrawal at an ATM and/or point-of-sale will apply. See current fee schedule for more information. Opt out options available.