According to the Federal Trade Commission, Credit and charge card fraud costs cardholders and issuers hundreds of millions of dollars each year. While theft is the most obvious form of fraud, it can occur in other ways. For example, someone may use your card number without your knowledge.
It's not always possible to prevent credit or charge card fraud from happening. But there are a few steps you can take to make it more difficult for a crook to capture your card or card numbers and minimize the possibility.
• Sign your cards with permanent ink immediately upon receipt
• Commit your PIN to memory
• Carry only the cards you plan to use.
• Store unused cards in a secure, locked place
• Open your statements promptly and reconcile your accounts
• Take receipts with you (including carbons) or tear them up before they are thrown away.
• Check your credit report periodically for any unusual activity
• Inventory all credit cards with numbers and company contact information and keep a listing separate from where you store your cards
• When out of town, notify the post office to put a hold on your mail.
• Loan your cards to anyone
• Keep your Social Security number in your wallet
• Keep personal information at your desk at work
• Give your card, number, Social Security number or PIN to anyone, especially over the phone
• Write credit card numbers on personal checks
• Allow your card out of sight during a sales transaction
If you suspect you have encountered credit card fraud, or of your wallet is lost or stolen, immediately follow these steps:
- Contact the issuer of the credit card immediately.
For FCU Credit cards: Call: 1-800-449-7728, then contact your local branch.
- Contact your local police and file a report. This will help clear your credit record.
- Contact the major credit bureaus listed in this brochure.
FCU Credit and Debit Card Protection
Your FCU Visa® debit and credit card and your FCU MasterCard® credit card give you the option to add additional protection to your card.
Verified by Visa™ and MasterCard SecureCode™ are new online security services to guard you against unauthorized use of your Visa or MasterCard card while shopping online at participating merchants. There is no need to get a new card, no software to download, no cost, and no hassles... just added security. Once enrolled in this service, you'll have added confidence knowing that Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode performs an extra authentication step to protect your account from unauthorized users online.
How Does It Work?
- Register your Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card to obtain your personal verification code.
- Shop at participating merchants and pay with your enrolled MasterCard or Visa card.
- Click Submit to complete your order, like you would normally do.
- The MasterCard SecureCode or the Verified by Visa box will automatically open on the merchant order form asking for your personal verification code - just like using the PIN at the ATM.
- Enter your unique code and within seconds, your identity is confirmed and your purchase is complete. This communication is between you and your card issuer and your information is never shared with the merchant.